Pilgrim Faith UCC is currently searching for an Office Manager.
Click to download a PDF of the Job Description
The Office Manager facilitates information flow among members, staff, and constituents. This is a 25 hour a week position from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday through Friday, with up to 5 additional hours per week as needed. The Office Manager is under the direct supervision of the senior minister and accountable to the Church Council. Evaluation of the Office Manager will be handled by the senior minister and the staff relations committee. The office manager will meet twice a year with the senior minister and staff relations committee and set forth goals and undergo an evaluation. Compensation based on experience and skill set.
The Office Manager is responsible for:
- Preparing and distributing the monthly electronic and written newsletter, weekly worship bulletins, weekly announcements
- As needed periodic written communications such as letters, email, flyers, press releases, and website postings.
- Maintains church and office records, answers phone, serves as receptionist, and provides support services for the minister, church staff, and lay leaders. Maintains the pastor’s schedule and calendar.
- This position requires experience with Standard Microsoft Office Programs and church specific church databases.
- Other duties as assigned by the senior pastor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide routine administrative support services to church staff, church boards, committees and groups, and church officers.
- Type and prepare weekly and special worship bulletins, announcements, newsletters, press releases, annual reports, church membership directory, and other church-related items. Has experience with using standard Microsoft Business software.
- Handle church correspondence including picking up and distributing mail, sending out meeting notices, and forwarding communication to appropriate individuals. Answer phone and distribute messages. Respond to email messages and pass them along to the senior minister as needed. Initiate phone calls and emails to facilitate the ministry of the church and staff. Deliver bulk mailings to the post office in Bridgeview once or twice a month and obtain postage from the local post office as needed.
- Maintain a calendar of church events and groups who use church facilities. Schedule regular and special events for church facilities. Maintain the calendar on the church website.
- Maintain a schedule for the pastor.
- Collect and bill fees from groups and individuals for use of church facilities. Maintain records of fees collected for events, services, and programs. Using the prescribed method for handling deposits of money turned into the church during business hours.
- Maintain an inventory of office supplies and order supplies as needed by the church with the approval of the senior minister.
- Maintain general office files, records, and documents, both paper and electronic. Maintain permanent files, reports, financial reports, and minutes from the council, boards, and committees. Maintain a list of passwords as they pertain to electronic mail and social media. Maintain Church databases and maintain and develop social media platforms.
- Answer the phones in a polite/professional manner and refer questions to the senior minister immediately.
- Interact with the public in a professional manner by serving as a receptionist during office hours, providing a warm welcome to all. Dress is business casual during office hours. Maintain a neat and clean workspace.
- Schedule and supervise volunteer office assistants.
- Maintain trade skills list including but not necessarily limited to plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical, carpentry, elevator maintenance, floor and carpet care and lawn care. Schedule repairs and routine care in consultation with the senior minister, custodian, and Board of Trustees.
- Monitor and manage office equipment and expenses efficiently.
- Provide the senior minister and the chair of the trustees a monthly report of supplies used for the month.
- Must keep church information and church financials confidential
- Initiate a calling tree and email notifications to members as needed.
- Perform other duties as requested by the senior minister
Conditions of Employment
Good general computer skills with proficiency in Standard Microsoft programs, church specific databases, and general office equipment. Good organizational skills and the ability to keep track of multiple tasks, deadlines, documents, and information. Congenial personality and ability to work cooperatively with staff, congregation, and public. Good oral and written communication skills. An Associate of Arts degree or bachelor’s degree preferred with two years of experience in administrative work in an office setting.
Moral and Personal
- Exhibits non-abrasive, conflict resolution skills capable of constructing “win-win” situations.
- Prioritizes competing projects and requests successfully.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize objectives for efficient use of time.
- Conducts personal and public life in harmony with generally accepted standards of ethical conduct.
- Maintains a professional personal appearance during office hours. Dress is business casual during working hours.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
Relationship to Other Staff Members
- Accepts work assignments from staff members and prioritizes in consultation with the senior minister to assure the smooth functioning of the church office and effective communication flow.
- Accepts work assignments from other selected persons after consulting the senior minister and establishing a clear understanding of the work completion schedule within existing workload limits and in coordination with other professional and volunteer staff members.
Please send resume and letter of application to:
Pastor James Bowman Harris
Pilgrim Faith Church UCC
9411 South 51st Ave
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
Open position until filled
Pilgrim Faith United Church of Christ celebrates diversity and an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to a workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the broad spectrum of our diverse society. We endeavor to recruit employees from backgrounds that vary by race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status. The UCC is a multicultural, multiracial, open and affirming, accessible to all, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Approved by Church Council 5/17/17
Amended by Church Council 12/16/2020
Amended by job Description Committee 1/5/2021